Austin Cambridge A55
The Austin Cambridge (sold as A40, A50, A55, and A60) is a motor car range produced by the Austin Motor Company, in several generations, from 1954 through to 1971. It replaced the A40 Somerset and was entirely new, with modern unibody construction. The range had two basic body styles with the A40, A50, and early A55 using a traditional rounded shape and later A55 Mark IIs and A60s using Pininfarina styling.
In 1957, the A55 Cambridge was introduced to replace the A50 model. It used the same 1.5-litre B-Series engine as its predecessor, though with a higher compression ratio.
The Cambridge had been restyled somewhat and now had a larger boot and much larger rear window. The car was also lowered by fitting 330 mm road wheels which were smaller than those on the A50 but the overall gearing remained the same by changing the rear axle ratio. Two-tone paint was an option.
Some 154,000 were produced before it was replaced by a new Pininfarina-designed A55 Cambridge for 1959.
A deluxe A55 with manumatic transmission was tested by The Motor magazine in 1957 had a top speed of 124.1 km/h (77.1 mph) and could accelerate from 0-100km/h in 27.0 seconds.